Children's yoga




Last week I had the opportunity to reconnect with a dear friend. Although we don't have daily conversation and our area codes keep us apart, our relationship lives in the heart. When we connect its as though no time has passed.

This dear friend and I share many passions, one being yoga. She recently started teaching a children's yoga class. I immediately knew before the summer months ended we needed to pack our bags and hit the road for a class. My expectations for the day were to visit, share our passion of yoga and catch up. Although all of that was accomplished, something more happened that day...  my heart changed, it grew. 

Yoga has become quite mainstream for adults in recent years. My practice included has advanced and taken a substantial amount of my heart. From time to time I share that passion with my children. They play along and we have fun but we move on and don't come back to their practice for a week or two.

However I hadn't considered what a practice for my children meant, for them personally or for our relationship as a family. Not until we were in my friends class, practicing integrity exercises with my 5 year old, or hearing her affirmation, watching her struggle and come back, or laying in Savasana, with my two year old gently holding my hand and deep breathing. Not until we were wiggling our fingers and toes awake and hearing him softly ask for "more". For the eye contact we made through class and for the moments I closed my eyes and mentally told myself to remember this moment, this is a moment to remember. 

That day brought good times, great company, uplifting conversation and a new found bond with my children I hold as a treasure in my soul. 

Now, the practice was silly, it was a little hard and it was emotional. It was a lot of emotions wrapped up in 45 minutes. I imagine like my practice, my children will have a different experience every time they step on their mat. 

I  have discovered to let go of expectations. I let it be silly when they crave silliness, I let it be spontaneous and entertaining. I let it be as fun as possible, through the fun and the silliness I pray a deep impression will be made in their hearts. 

It may not be slow deep breathing, long balance poses with grace and reverence but it is still yoga. It is still nourishing for my soul, for our bond and for their growth.


Benefits of doing yoga with your children are endless... I'll name a few. 


Awareness of breath
Calming
Positive mental health
Encourages healthy habits
Non competitive
Self-acceptance
Confidence and positive self-image
Focus - to be present
Acceptance and tolerance to others (namaste)
Strengthening and energizing

The next time I take a moment to honor the sun, the moon, the stars, a mountain or river, the next time I sing a mantra or open my heart, I will intentionally involve my children. I encourage you to try as well.
XOXO
Ash




No comments:

Post a Comment