After school rush



 Hey Mama, how do you handle the after school rush? You know, the time of day when your children run in the door from school, everyone is hungry and so full of energy. When papers start piling up on the counter as homework is being pulled out. When you look around and shoes, coats and backpacks are thrown everywhere!!

Sounds like a crazy mad house, am I right? This time of day used to stress me out, fill me with anxiety and it left me head first in the peanut butter jar all while impatient with my children. 

Believe it or not this crazy transition is now one of my favorite times of the day that I cherish with my kiddos! 

I want to share with you four tips and tricks to make this transition time in your day enjoyable as well. 


* First you must Breathe
Simple yet powerful. I have an ongoing alarm on my phone set for 10 minutes before I have to drive to pick up my children. During those ten minutes I find a quiet place, put my hand on my belly and take deep cleansing breaths. I like to imagine how I want the rest of the evening to go. I like to repeat in my mind, "I am a fun mom, I am patient, I am loving, I am kind." After that I think about what my kids may need from me in specific at this transitional time. Do they have a test the next day, do they have a play date/dance/football/gymnastics , ect later that same day? How best can I help them also transition and prepare for their day?! I like to remember that kids get over stimulated in transition as well and it can lead to acting out. So however I can help them, in turn helps me as well. 

*Three minutes
As soon as I see the whites of my children's eyes I give them my absolute attention for three minutes at the very least. No phone, no work, no distractions. This is not the time of day to be checking emails or calling a friend. This is the time to reconnect and bond with your child. This is when I ask about their day, who they sat by at lunch, what they learned, how they felt. Try asking open ended questions like "who did you sit by today" those usually lead into a conversation vs "how was your day" that usually just ends up with good/bad or a shoulder shrug and the child not wanting to share much else.

*Designated spot to hang coats and backpacks
This is one of my most favorite things we have added to our home. Prior to a backpack/coat rack, the kids just threw their backpacks and coats on the floor and I had to hang them up in the closet because they couldn't reach. We have an entrance into our home through the garage that we always come through. The rack is right as you walk in and at kids reaching level. If messes give you anxiety like me, then this is a must for you!   

*Routine/expectations
My kids know exactly what is expected of them when they come home, as well as I know what they expect from me. They haven't eaten since 11 and are usually starving. They know and expect mom will always have an after school snack platter waiting for them. Remember the term "hangry" isn't just for adults. Your child's blood sugar can also dip and spike leaving them with those "hangry mood swings" you or I are familiar with. My children also know they get free time to run and jump and play outside after school. Personally I find this to work best for our family, I think they need a break after school before we begin homework. Then while I make dinner they know its time to sit at the counter and work on spelling words, math or whatever it is they have for the day. I am right in front of them helping and discussing problems with them while I mix, chop or stir our dinner. As my children are in elementary school they don't have more then 20-30 minutes of work to do so as soon as they are finished they come and help me with dinner and setting the table. With that said that is what works for my children, I know many families who like to do homework as soon as they get home and then transition into play time. One is not better then the other, just that it becomes routine and works for your personal needs and the needs of your children.

I hope these tips help you in some small way and you can enjoy that rush of time after your children get home and before preparing dinner. It really can be wonderful with a few deep breaths and a little prep!




1 comment:

  1. Loved this article! Very well written and organized.

    I especially loved that you take time before the event to invision the outcome you want to experience and set your intention for how you, as the parent, will behave. I love this simple, yet so powerful, tool! And utilizing it before the chaos strikes is genius!

    Thank you for reminding us all to be fully present with our children when it matters most. Those short blocks of time really do make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete